When Srivalli announced 'Kara Sev' for this months ICC Challenge, I had planned to make a few batches of both the sev versions that were provided to us. However, this past month was relatively hectic and so I didn't get a chance to make these ahead of time. I literally got done making this sev few minutes back. The recipe was simple and easy to follow and the results were really amazing! I have made sev in the past several times either by using only rice flour or only besan but never a combination of the two. I think it was the combination of these two flours that made these sev very crispy and delicious! We both loved it very much!
11/4 cup gram flour/ besan
1/2 cup rice flour
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp black pepper coarsely powdered
2 tsps butter/ Ghee
1 pinch cooking soda
3 tsps crushed garlic
Salt to taste.
Oil to deep fry.
1. Sieve both Gram flour and Rice flour together in a bowl.
2. Add red chilli powder, black pepper powder, salt, garlic, butter/ ghee and cooking soda.
3. Mix thoroughly with hand. It should look like bread crumbs. Divide the dough into 2 portions.
4. Take one portion of this mixture, sprinkle water, knead like Puri dough.
5. Heat oil in a kadai, use sev maker/ chakli press. Put some dough in the sev maker and press directly into oil.
6. Deep fry in oil , drain excess oil.
7. After cooling this off, store this in an airtight container.