I first read about "Bread Dosa" on Shilpa's blog few months back. Though she had good things to say about this dosa, I had my own doubts about how these would turn out. So I did not attempt to try these out at that time. Few days back I also saw these on Sanjeev Kapoor's website and finally decided to give it a shot. I made some changes to the recipe and came up with my own version that tasted really good. I actually bought fresh bread to specially make these dosas, but I think this is a creative way of using leftover bread. These dosas didn’t taste very different than the rava maida dosas that I make very often at home. However, the seasonings did give it a nice unique flavor. I served these with my mom's tomato chutney.
8 slices of white bread
1/2 cup semolina/ rawa/ suji
2 tbsp rice flour
salt to taste
1/2 cup whisked yogurt
Oil - for frying the dosas + 2 tbsp
1 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tsp split black gram skinless/ dhuli urad dal
5-6 chopped curry leaves
1/2 inch finely chopped ginger
3-4 finely chopped green chillies
1 medium finely chopped onion
1 tbsp roughly crushed cashewnuts
1. Trim the edges of the bread slices and soak the slices in some warm sufficient water for few minutes. Squeeze out water from the soaked bread and lightly crumble with hand.
2. Take semolina, rice flour, salt in a bowl and add sufficient water to make a thin batter.
3. Add this crumbled bread to the batter along with whisked yogurt.
4. Put the mixture in blender/ food processor and grind it to a fine paste.
6. Transfer to a clean bowl and adjust the consistency.
7. Heat two tablespoons of oil in a pan.
8. Add mustard seeds, dhuli urad dal, curry leaves, chopped ginger, green chillies, onion, cashewnuts and sauté till onions are lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
9. Heat a dosa tawa. Put some oil on it and wipe with a clean wet cloth.
10. Add the tempering to the batter and mix well.
11. Pour a ladleful of the batter onto the hot tawa and spread. Pour a little oil on top and sides and cook for two to three minutes. Turn and cook the other side similarly.
12. Prepare the other dosas similarly. Serve hot with chutney of choice.