Dal vadai is a popular south Indian snack which is usually made from chana dal. I have been making these regularly since both D and I love them a lot. In the past, I have made these vadais by adding different veggies like onions, grated carrots and spinach. Since I had few broccoli heads in the refrigerator, I thought of adding these to the vadai for a new spin on the traditional recipe. I love these innovative ideas of sneaking in more veggies into our diet. Although, I was a bit apprehensive of the outcome of these broccoli vadais, they tasted really good.
I recently read about 'My Legume Love Affair (MLLA)' event and thought of participating in this interesting event. This is my entry for the MLLA - Edition 21 hosted by Mirch Masala for the month of March 2010
1 cup chana dal
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
2 cups finely chopped broccoli
2-3 one inch pieces of cinnamon
2-3 dried red chillies
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
4 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
2 green chillies finely chopped
1 inch piece ginger finely chopped
2-3 tbsp rice flour
salt to taste
1. Soak chana dal in water for about 5-6 hours.
2. Grind the chana dal along with cinnamon, dried red chillies and cumin seeds into a coarse mixture.
3. Take this mixture in a bowl and add finely chopped onions, broccoli, green chillies, ginger, cilantro, fennel seeds and salt and mix well.
4. Heat oil in a pan.
5. Just before deep frying the vadais, add some rice flour to the mixture.
6. Make round flattened balls of the mixture and deep fry in hot oil till they turn crisp and golden brown.
7. Serve the vadais with coconut chutney or with ketchup.